4 DAYS DESERT TOUR TO ZAGORA & MERZOUGA
Desert Tour Itinerary
DAY 1 : MARRAKECH – OUARZAZATE – ZAGORA
We will pick you up at your hotel/riad in Marrakech and start heading to the Atlas Mountains through the Tizi n‘ Tichka pass, the direct route towards Ouarzazate. It is spectacular and dramatic route that presents astonishing views of snow topped peaks of the Atlas and many Berber villages. Upon our descend, we will arrive to the cultural heritage site of Morocco; the Kasbah of Ait BenHaddou. It was once an important stop along the caravan routes that carried salt from the Sahara and on return gold and ivory. It is the best preserved and well fortified Kasbah with high steep walls of dark red clay, impenetrable at this remote, hillside site. After our visit we will continue on to Ouarzazate from where we set on the road South to Zagora and the Draa Valley. At first traveling through the barren mountains but eventually descending into the Draa Valley. This picturesque valley is well known in Morocco for its sweet dates . The vistas are splendid all the way to Zagora, where we spend the night.
DAY 2 : ZAGORA – TAZARINE – RISSANI – MERZOUGA
After breakfast you depart from Zagora, our first stop today will be the village of Tamegroute, which is famous for its library featuring Korans written as well as the 12th century writings on the animal skins. Then from there, we will travel to Erfoud, through Tansikht and Nkob where splendid sceneries of pre-saharian and Berber villages of the Sargho Mountain massive follow each other perpetually. (optional) Lunch at Tazzarine,small Berber village. Afternoon, continuation to Erfoud via the village of Alnif and Rissani city, the former capital of the Alaouite dynasty known for its important market for caravans of sub-Saharan region Sijilmassa, visit of the mausoleum of Moulay Ali Cherif, where the founder of the present Alouite dynasty is buried, experience a dinner and night under Bedouin tent at a camp site at the foot of Merzouga where the majesty sandy dunes of Erg Chebbi. Enjoy playing drums and dancing with the camels drivers around the fire in the middle of your bivouac.
DAY 3: MERZOUGA – ERFOUD – TOUDRA GORGES
Early morning awake up to enjoy the beautiful sunrise over the dunes, or climb on one of the highest dunes in Merzouga, in front of your bivouac to dominate the complete view of the sunrise, followed by a typical Berber breakfast and return to the hotel to take a shower. We meet our driver, and leave for Erfoud, another city known for fossils, we will cross the Tafilalt oasis, a short break to see the ancient system of irrigation before heading to Tinejdad. Continuation to Todgha Gorges where you will have lunch and some free time to walk and wonder around the gorges. In the afternoon, we visit the former Jewish district in Tinghir village and continue the road towards the Dades valley and go up for an incursion, one of the most beautiful touristic sites of the southern Morocco. Dinner and overnight in the Hotel in Dades Gorges.
DAY 4: DADES – OUARZAZATE – MARRAKECH
Today you will travel off-road and explore the region between the Dades Valley and the Valley of Roses. It is a great opportunity to encounter the local nomads, some of whom still live in caves and tents. At El-Kelaa M’Gouna up to 4000 tonnes of rose petals are picked every spring to be processed into rosewater or exported for the perfume industry. The Rose Festival is held here in May. As we travel from Kelaat M’Gouna towards Skoura you will see Kasbahs set out among the greenery of the Dades Valley. The small town of Skoura is surrounded by an impressive palm grove, and the most beautiful Kasbahs in southern Morocco are to be found here. Then we head to Ait Ben Haddou kasbah we will go for a walk to visit this ancient village, where many movies have been shot there such “Lawrence of Arabia”, ”Jesus of Nazareth”, ”Gladiator” and the site is classified as world heritage site by UNISCO…then we will cross the mountains via the Tizi n Tichka pass. We arrive to Marrakech in the afternoon where you will experience the famous Jemma el Fna square, with its snake charmers, singers, fortune tellers.
|NUMBER OF PEOPLE||2 People||4 People||6 People|
|PRICE PER PERSON||270 €||180 €||140 €|
|ADULT||CHILD (3-11)||INFANT (0-2)|
|124 €||50 %||Free|
ZAGORA & MERZOUGA DESERT TOUR OVERVIEW
Enjoy a wonderful a Morocco desert tour from Marrakech to Zagora and Merzouga Desert for 4 full days of breathtaking valley and desert landscapes seen in movies such as ‘Gladiator’ and ‘Lawrence of Arabia.’ Traveling through the High Atlas Mountains, visit the desert gateway city of Ouarzazate and explore the small Moroccan towns scattered throughout the Draa River Valley. Get a taste for authentic Berber life with an overnight in nomads’ tents at a desert camp in M'hamid, and witness a desert sunrise on an early-morning excursion to the Erg Lihoudi sand dunes nearby.
ZAGORA & MERZOUGA DESERT TOUR INFO
- Duration: 4 Days & 3 Nights
- Departure: 7/8 AM
- Starting location: Marrakech
- Ending location: Marrakech
- Free arrival transfer ( Marrakech Airport - Marrakech hotel)
- Transportation (A/C comfortable 4WD/minivan/minibus)
- Professional English speaking driver /guide during the trip
- Accommodation in typical hotels, riads and tents
- Pick up & drop off at your accommodation in Marrakech
- Camel trek to overnight in nomad desert camp with guide
- Berber music show / Entertainment
- Visit to nomad and Berber families
- Sand boarding
- Visit fees when applied
- Free time to visit the sites such as Kasbahs, Canyons, photos...Etc
- Travel Insurance
- Beverages & Lunches
DESERT TOUR TO ZAGORA & MERZOUGA HIGHLIGHTS
- Drive through the dramatic Tizi N'Tichka Pass of high Atlas mountains
- Explore the great valleys of the south of Morocco such Draa Valley
- Ride a camel through the dunes of Tinfo, M’hamid and Erg Chegaga dunes
- Play a drum around the campfire after feasting on a Moroccan Tagine meal
- Explore the lifestyle of nomads and share meals with Berbers
- Sleep in a tent and watch the sunrise over Zagora & Merzouga ’s dunes
- If the itineraries that we offer do not match what you're looking for, contact us and we will prepare the trip to your needs and requirements.
- If a long Camel trek & overnight in the camp is not for you can still enjoy the sunset with a shorter camel trek and spend the night in the Hotel.
- 50% off for children under 12 years with maximum 1 child per family